Angers is a flagship city for research Angers is a leader in horticulture.
and for training programs
dedicated to plants
Angers is the number 1:
• Training center for plant-based jobs.
• Center for horticultural research Angers
with its 450 scientists and experts.
• The “Campus du Végétal” is a community
of stakeholders taking on the plant challenges
of today and tomorrow – to improve crops
and their adaptation to a changing climate.
• Angers is nationally and internationally
renowned for its research projects.
• “Climate-neutral and smart cit ies”: Angers
Loire Métropole is among the 100 European
regions selected for this Horizon Europe
A REPUTED DESTINATION
FOR PLANT PROFESSIONALS
Its recurring events and trade shows:
The SIVAL (world-class international fair trade
for plant production), the Salon du Végétal, the
Wine trade fairs, “ESAconnect” (AgTech), “Les
Rencontres du végétal” (horticulture) Angers.
Host-City for inter national events:
IHC 2022, Francophone Leguminous Plant Fair
2020, Greensys Symposium 2019 (innovation
for sustainable greenhouses), Chenin Blanc
International Congress 2019, International
Blackcurrant Conference 2018…
Angers is a leader in horticulture
• Among the world leaders in seeds
• Ornamental horticulture and nurseries are ranked number 1 in the country
• 1st in Europe for Hydrangea production
• Renowned business center for medicinal plants (production and marketing)
HEADQUARTERS OF MAJOR INSTITUTIONS
• Végépolys Valley, competitiveness cluster - plant sector
• Community Plant Variety Office, European Union agency - EU plant variety rights system
• Variety and seed study and control group– GEVES, French official expert - all cultivated plant species
Angers is a delicious region, hungry for innovation and transition
• Creation of new fruit varieties: Ariane and Antarès apples, Angys pears
• Arboriculture: Maine-et-Loire ranks 3rd in France for production
• Loire Valley Vineyards: Internationally known for the Chenin grape variety, a world leader in the domaine
• Local Food Action Plan: To develop and promote food that is both healthy and locally produced by all and for all.
• Ecological issues: Actors committed to research, training, and planning events.
• Gastronomy Campus: training programs offered in all areas of food, from agriculture to gastronomy, “Farm to fork”, from professional diplomas to PhD programs
Angers is France’s Number 1 “Green City” and is ranked Number 1 for “Quality of Life”.
NATURE IN A CITY SETTING
• “Tree cities of the world”, Angers is internationally recognized for the sustainable management of its heritage trees.
• Outstanding green spaces: 100 sq. meters of green space per person – that’s double the national average
• Headquarters of Plante & Cité, A national organization dedicated to landscaping and urban agriculture
• Terra Botanica, the 1st European theme park dedicated to plants and biodiversity
• In Angers, there is a unique microclimate where Nature is nurtured by the waters of the Loire River and its tributaries giving substance to the expression “la douceur Angevine” (literally “the sweetness of Angevin life”).
• Angevins take part in the greening of their city through competitions, workshops, and community action…